By using the People's Market/9th West Farmers Market token-exchange system, vendors can accept payments from debit cards if they can't process theses cards themselves.
Customers and vendors delight in the People's Market/9th West Farmers Market token-exchange system. Here is how it works:
- Customers bring their debit or Horizon card to the central, People's Market/9th West Farmers Market booth
- Using a battery-powered, wireless credit card machine, People's Market/9th West Farmers Market will authorize the card in a whole dollar amount
- People's Market gives an equivalent amount of tokens to customers to spend as cash
- Customers use tokens to purchase lunch food, artisan creations, fresh produce, or packaged foods
- Vendors accept tokens like cash and make change when necessary
- At the end of the day, vendors return to the main People's Market booth to exchange their tokens for cash
Note: food stamp/EBT card tokens can only be used for food stamp eligible items, no prepared on location food
The People's Market/9th West Farmers Market token-exchange system is in place thanks to the generosity of the People's Market board of directors. It has been in place since 2007. Thanks to Utahns Against Hunger's Double Up Food Bucks, People's Market/9th West Farmers Market will dollar-for-dollar match any food stamp/EBT card usage at the market up to $10. If you take out $5 on your EBT card, you will receive another $5 in tokens. Note, the Double Up tokens are green metallic. Those can only be used for produce, plants or seed which produce produce. The wooden tokens with green print can be used for any food stamp/EBT eligible food items, including produce, honey, coffee beans, packages of tea, baked goods, bottled items (salsas, jams), canned or bottled drinks.
Double Your Food Dollars with Double Up Food Bucks
Get more fruits and vegetables when you use your SNAP (food stamp) EBT Horizon card at farmers markets! This season over 20 farmers markets and farm stands across the state of Utah will match what you spend, up to $10 every market day, when you purchase Utah-grown fruits and vegetables, and plants that produce food.
How it works:
2. Decide how much money you would like to spend. The attendant at the booth will run your card for the requested amount, and will give you wooden SNAP tokens worth $1 each for you to purchase eligible items from vendors.*
3. If the market participates in Double Up Food Bucks, it will match what you spend with free Double Up tokens, up to $10, every market day. You spend $1, the market matches $1. Use the Double Up tokens right away or save for another day.
NOTE: You can use all your tokens that day, or save them for another day. Green Double Up tokens can be used at any farmers market/stand participating in Double Up (map below).
*What you CAN buy with SNAP tokens: Fruits, veggies, herbs, meats, fish, poultry, breads and other baked goods, dairy, maple syrup, pickled goods, jam, honey, dressings, cider and other non-alcoholic beverages, other non-hot foods for the household to eat, seeds/plants to grow food.
*What you CAN buy with DOUBLE UP tokens: Unprocessed, Utah-grown, fresh fruits and vegetables, seeds and plants that grow food.
What you CANNOT buy with either SNAP or DOUBLE UP tokens: Any food served hot, any food prepared for onsite consumption, alcoholic beverages or tobacco products, pet foods, vitamins and medicines, non-food items (soaps, cut flowers, crafts, clothing, etc.)